This sun cake is so easy and delicious! This cake is light and moist, and is topped with a orange cream cheese “glaze” – not a heavy frosting! Using a ROUND cake pan , yellow cake, and oranges, this cake represents the Sun and is perfect for celebrating winter solstice (return of the sun) or as a summer treat!
- 1 box yellow cake mix PLUS the needed ingredients listed on the box (eggs/oil)
- 2-3 cups mandarin orange slices in juice or water (the canned kind)
- 1 block of cream cheese
- 1 cup of sugar
- Prepare cake batter as directed on box with eggs and oil, BUT DO NOT ADD WATER.
- Blend 1 cup of canned mandarin oranges and add to cake batter.
- Add batter to greased cake pan and bake as directed on box for pan size/type. (You may need to bake it longer, but check it at the time indicated for doneness). I use a ROUND cake pan.
- In a microwave save bowl, melt 1 block of cream cheese in the microwave using 30 second intervals. Stir every 30 seconds until uniformly melted and creamy.
- Add 1 cup of sugar to the bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Blend 1/2 cup of canned mandarin oranges and add to cream cheese mixture. Combine thoroughly
- Turn out cake onto a cake plate or other flat dish and allow to cool slightly. You don’t want it to be too hot, but it needs to be warm so the frosting will glaze a bit while still covering the surface evenly.
- Poke a few holes in the cake and pour the cream cheese glaze over the cake, starting in the middle. Allow to drip over the sides.
- Decorate the top of the cake with remaining orange slices and serve!