Currently a large portion of the world is practicing “social distancing”. Many schools here in the US are closed, work places are closed, states are under shelter in place orders… it’s a crazy time! Lots of parents are home with their kids, trying to find ways to fill their time, keep little ones entertained, and keep from going completely stir crazy!
Fortunately, lots of organizations have stepped up to help provide activities and things to do, for free, to families impacted by shelter in place orders, or school/work closings. Other families who already work from home or homeschool, are providing countless resources to families who are suddenly faced with working from home and/or schooling their own children. It’s a scary and trying time for sure, but also kind of heart warming to see how people are pulling together to get through this pandemic.
In my facebook group, we are observing some unique holidays this month and I’ve put together some complementary activity ideas you can do at home! Check out the below list of holidays we will be observing and the associated suggestions for how to celebrate them at home.
And remember, even though we’re supposed to be social distancing, going outside IS OKAY (and likely necessary for your physical and mental health), just stay 6 feet away from others at all times and don’t play on any playground equipment!
Zoo Lovers Day April 8th
- Check out a Zoo Cam!
- Check out THESE Zoo Lovers Day Activities and Games
- Choose 1 zoo animal to learn more about. Youtube and Pinterest are both great places to start!
- Watch this video for kids about the job of a zookeeper
- Reading zoo animal books! Check out THESE books from Usborne
Unicorn Day April 9th
- Make Unicorn Popcorn (see below) or another Unicorn-y treat!
- Check out these Unicorn Crafts and Activities
- Dress in your Unicorn finest – pastels, rainbow colors, and sparkles!!
- Check out these storybooks and activity books about Unicorns
Unicorn Popcorn Recipe
1) Pop a bag of plain or lightly salted popcorn in the microwave (or use a popcorn maker!)
2) Pour popcorn into a bowl
3) Melt 1 cup of white chocolate chips, or 1/2 package of white chocolate/vanilla candy coating. (Be careful not to overheat or the chocolate will seize up! Best done on stovetop, but you can do this in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring well after each interval until melted.)
4) Add 4-6 drops of your favorite Unicorn-colored food coloring to the melted chocolate/candy coating and mix until well incorporated. (optional)
5) Pour over popcorn and fold in gently until evenly distributed.
6) Salt popcorn, stir gently, taste and repeat until desired saltiness is achieved.
7) Add sprinkles (optional, but highly recommended)
8) Stick bowl in the fridge for 5-10 minutes, or until coating is hardened.
9) Gently break up popcorn into clusters/pieces and enjoy!
World Art Day April 15th
- Check out some art activities and project ideas HERE
- Pick a famous artist and learn about them today/recreate a masterpiece
- Check out this BIG list of art activity books
- Explore art images from around the world, modern or ancient – Every country/region of the world has a different artistic flair, from the ancient Aztecs to the modern manga styles from Japan.
- Take a virtual tour of an art gallery
For more April Holiday celebration ideas – including Earth Day, Arbor Day, World Penguin Day, Tell a Story Day, etc. come join my Facebook Group (and enter our monthly contest to win a FREE BOOK from Usborne Books & More)!