Life has been extra crazy lately, and I’m not talking about the current COVID-19 Pandemic and the prolonged social distancing the US is facing right now. That’s crazy too, but since my husband and I both work from home already, and we homeschool, our day to day routines haven’t been too affected – other than not being able to attend social functions and keeping our daughter home from dance classes and playgroups.
No, my life is crazy because I am:
- in the middle of a complete re-brand and moving over to an all new, professionally designed, website
- developing an online course, for Pinterest management using Tailwind, under the new brand
- working with a therapist in an RDI program for my daughter’s newly diagnosed Autism and implementing this at home
- pushing through several MAJOR home renovations in preparation for listing our house for sale
- planning a BIG 800 mile move
You know, all on top of managing the day to day work for my clients’ Pinterest accounts, living with chronic illness and navigating the “bad days” , homeschooling, and running a home. NBD, right?
All that to say, I really really really appreciate a meal that doesn’t require me to put a whole lot of effort into it. If it can be made in 30 minutes or less, it’s a keeper! Bonus points for being low carb.
These Philly Cheesesteak bowls check all the boxes! Plus, you only need 4 main ingredients, and some common seasonings.
I’ll remind you that you won’t see much by way of measurements in my recipes. I cook intuitively – which means I wait for the spirit of my ancestors to tell me I’ve used enough seasonings!
Really, I taste as I go and adjust accordingly. I recommend you do too. Just remember you can always add MORE of something, but you can’t take it back! So start with a little and add a little more at a time as needed.
Without further ado… Philly Cheesesteak Bowls!
- THIN sirloin steaks OR Shredded Steak (4-6 thin steaks, they came in packs of 3 from my grocery store, or 2 packs of shredded steak)
- 2 Green Bell Peppers
- Bag of Frozen Cauliflower Rice
- Shredded Mozzarella (I used about 4 handfuls, so maybe 2 cups?)
- Milk or non-dairy milk of choice (we use unsweetened Almond milk)
- McCormick’s Montreal Steak seasoning (or steak rub/seasoning of choice)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Black Pepper
- Oil (olive, coconut, canola, whatever)
- If using thin sirloin steaks, cut steaks into narrow strips.
- Dice peppers.
- Place meat into skillet and brown, stirring frequently.
- Season meat liberally with Montreal steak seasoning (or seasoning of choice) and cook through.
- Add roughly equal parts Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce – Listen to your ancestors! Or, add a little at a time until it tastes good. You want there to be enough liquid to form a sauce once the cheese is melted in.
- Melt in 2 handfuls of mozzarella cheese.
- In a small skillet, saute peppers in oil of choice until softened (about 3 to 5 minutes)
- Microwave frozen cauliflower rice for 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower rice to peppers and season with salt/black pepper.
- Add a little milk to veggies and melt in 2 handfuls mozzarella cheese. Add more milk as needed.
Serve combined or over plain rice if you aren’t worried about the carbs!
You could probably do this all in the same skillet but, if you have kiddos who aren’t likely to eat the cauli rice/pepper mixture, like I do, using two skillets allows everyone to layer their own bowl however they want to.